Surveys have shown that suicidal behaviour is on the rise in our society. While this is a disturbing trend, it is important to know that timely action can often save lives. There are warning signs of suicide and if friends and family members identify these, victims can be brought back from the clutches of death.
A panel of suicide experts came together to review all available research about suicide warming signs and reach a consensus about what these warning signals are. They noted the important distinction between risk factors that are predictors of suicidal behaviour and actual warning signs which point to impending action leading to fatality.
Warning signs for suicide
- Someone threatening to hurt or kill themselves
- Someone looking for ways to kill themselves by seeking access to pills, weapons or other means
- Someone talking or writing about death, dying or suicide
- Rage, anger, seeking revenge
- Acting recklessly or engaging in risky activity, seemingly without thinking
- Feeling trapped like there’s no way out
- Increasing alcohol or drug use
- Withdrawing from friends, family or society
- Anxiety, agitation, sleeplessness, or sleeping all the time
- Dramatic changes in mood
- No sense of purpose in life
Seek immediate help from a mental health provider when you notice any one of such behaviours
HOW EFFECTIVE IS TREATMENT WITH US?
We are psychotherapy specialists equipped to help people overcome difficulties they face by using highly effective types of therapies such as cognitive behaviour therapy, hypnotherapy, solution-focused brief therapy and experiential therapy.
Medication is not usually recommended in the treatment of mild to moderate psychological problems. However, in some cases, it may be helpful to consider a combined approach and our psychiatrists would be able to advise you further on this.
Our psychotherapists are highly trained and qualified mental health professionals with competence as either Cognitive Behaviour Therapists, Clinical Hypnotherapists or Clinical and Counselling Psychologists. Our mental health professionals have the necessary skills, competence and experience to help you overcome the negative thoughts and regain the zest for life.