The progressive relaxation technique continues to be the trademark of thousands of hypnotherapists globally. It is one of the simplest and easiest ways to hypnotize people.
Although it is prolonged and sometimes inefficient, it allows beginners as hypnotizing professionals to make progress in their carrier.
One of the advantages of this technique is that it enables the subject to be brought to the hypnotic state without conducting the induction.
Before starting, the subject has to be prepared mentally for the hypnosis based on Progressive Relaxation Technique. The misconceptions related to hypnosis has to be removed from his mind. If any wrong notions regarding the hypnotic process are there, it should also be corrected. The Progressive Relaxation Technique is capable of removing any unwanted fear or anxiety in the subject.
The ideal place for this technique, rooms or sites which are peaceful, aerated, well lit and which helps one to gain concentration. If the subject is wearing tight-fitting dresses, those should be loosened. The atmosphere inside the room should be comfortable enough.
Steps to follow:
- Allow the subject to lie down comfortably on his back, either on the floor or bed.
- Ask him to take long inhalations and exhalations. The time taken for exhalation should be double that of inhalation. The breathing rate increases under stress. Hence the breath control exercise brings change to the breathing pattern. The muscles which tighten up under stress get relaxed on breathing. Breathing exercise should be done for about five minutes.
- After that, ask the subject to hold his right hand tightly for a few seconds and then relax slowly. Following which he should tighten up and then loosen all the muscles from head to toe, one by one.
- Following that, the breathing exercise has to be done. On continuously tightening up and relaxing all the body muscles, the stress accumulated all over the body gets released. This is a method to keep the physical- mental stress under check.
- Once it is made sure that the subject has entered a state of effortlessness, give the following instructions clearly and steadily: “You are entering a pleasurable state of physical and mental relaxation. I am now going to name each of your body parts. For every body part mentioned, try to bring that part to memory. Along with it, give complete rest to those body parts. Thus, on giving complete rest to every body part, you will experience your body weight coming down fully. Now I am going to name your body parts…big toe…feet…heels…ankle…muscles below the knee….knee…thigh…waist…stomach…chest…armpits…muscles above the elbows…”
- Apart from naming each of the body parts, the hypnotist should make sure that the subject brings each of these parts into complete rest. And then continue the instructions: “The heaviness of your eyes is increasing..at the same time, your body weight is decreasing…you are moving deeper and deeper into the depths of your mind.”
- Repeat these instructions five or six times at least. After that, specific imaginative instructions can be given. A model for it is given below: ” Now your body weight has immensely come down…you are able to fly now…you are capable of suspending yourself in the air, you can fly slowly or quickly…you are able to see an island in the distance now…here you are flying towards that island…now you have reached that island…you are having a great time seeing around the beautiful island.”
An expert in hypnosis is capable of taking the subject to multiple levels through this technique. The imaginative skills of the subject can be ignited through such creative instructions. The path of the subject is made pleasurable by giving instructions continuously and making the subject think correspondingly. The subject can attain a state of deep hypnosis by providing proper guidance and is allowed to think for about twenty to thirty minutes.